Monday, March 26, 2012

Tom Yum Soup with Udon

It's been a while since I managed to leave work early to take conference calls from my home instead of staying in late at the office.

It's not easy to rush off at 530pm in the evening, rush home, prepare for dinner, take 2 calls in between and then cook dinner. But the reward of all that rush was that The Husband and I got to eat a nice home cooked dinner on a weekday night, which is quite a treat for both of us.

This Tom Yum Soup with Udon noodles is very easy to make. I cheated by using instant tom yum paste - but I tried to add lots of fresh, healthy ingredients into the soup - prawns, sliced fish, tomatoes, mushrooms, vegetables and lots of fresh coriander.

I also used those dried udon noodles and cooked them for 10 minutes in a separate pot, draining them with iced water before dunking them into the tom yum soup. I liked these dried udon noodles a lot better than those supposedly "fresh" ones from the frozen/ chilled section of the supermarket because I think you can control the doneness on these a lot better.

All it took was 10 minutes of preparation and 20 minutes to cook the soup and noodles. 


Did you manage to have a home-cooked dinner today?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! And that look very tasty...for me, after giving birth to my second child, i managed to cook for our dinner for most days of the week. To see all of us at the dining table savouring to my cooking is priceless...

Blur Ting said...

Looks so yum!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Thanks Wanie - true.. eating a homecooked dinner is always good! :) Priceless is the word for the cook..

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Thanks Ting! It was.. Quick and easy too!

My Sinfonia said...

Never tried udon noodles in tom yum soup...hmmmm.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Sinfonia, usually I do Thai Kway Teow in this soup but I thought udon was interesting as well. :)

Malar said...

udon and tom yum? new to me too! It looks yummy!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Thanks Malar!

Petunia Lee said...

This looks perfectly delish!!