Friday, March 5, 2010

Consistently Good Tonkichi

Tonkichi is a restaurant that to me, has not changed much over the years.

The menu has been the same since I first went there about 4 to 5 years ago. And the food is consistently good and never fails to satisfy.

Tonkichi is a tonkatsu chain restaurant. (It is the best tonkatsu restaurant in Singapore.. if you know of a better one.. pls let me know!)

Tonkatsu is breaded and deep-fried pork cutlet. Apart from pork, Tonkichi serves all kinds of breaded and deep-fried stuff - chicken, fish, croquette, oysters and prawns. I have tried them all and they are all good - perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I am actually not a great fan of pork.. so my favourites are the deep fried oysters and large prawns.

They give you a bowl of toasted sesame seeds, which you can grind and pound before adding the tonkastu sauce. I find this sauce mix particularly fragrant.

The Japanese rice is authentic and good, the miso soup decent and the finely cut Japanese cabbage is refreshing, sweet and usually cold.

The cabbage is free flow, meaning the waitresses actually walk around occasionally with a large bowl of cabbage, offering to top up for you. The cold, sweet cabbage goes very well with all the deep fried stuff.

Never mind that deep fried stuff are unhealthy... Tonkichi may not be the healthiest restaurant to visit.. but it invariably leaves me deeply satisfied and walking away with a big smile..

Mixed Seafood Fry Set - The fried oyster is yummy.. 
and the prawns are huge and sweet. Yum! 
As a side note.. I am always amazed by the photos taken by the iPhone btw..

The nice little bowl that they give you to grind the toasted sesame seeds. 
See the little grooves inside the bowl.. I want a bowl just like that too!

Tonkichi
Address: 391 Orchard Road
#04-24 Ngee Ann City
(They have branches at Isetan Scotts, Suntec and Orchard Central too.. check their website for more..)
Tel: +65 6735 7522

No comments: