Sunday, August 22, 2010

Chilli Prawns, local-style

Source here

Chilli crab is a very popular local dish that I missed a lot when I was in Beijing. Crabs are simply too troublesome to cook at home so I took to cooking chilli prawns whenever I have a craving for Singapore-style chilli crab.

The sauce for chilli crab is usually semi-thick, sweet and savoury. The base of the chilli crab sauce is chilli sauce and tomato sauce. It is also flavoured with garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce and thickened with corn starch. Beaten eggs are added near the end of the cooking process to create egg-ribbons in the sauce.

I don't really have a recipe for this but I usually also add a whole lot of black pepper and sometimes curry leaves.

I made this again last night and added some onions, fresh tomatoes and served the prawns on a bed of green vegetables. It turned out quite alright although I need more practice with the egg ribbons.. The trick I think is not to stir the sauce too soon after adding the eggs.

7 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Looks good! It is quite a hassle to make it at home, so these days we just go to Jumbo when craving strikes.

Petunia Lee said...

Miam... miam... something new to try with prawns. My family doesn't eat crabs.

Malar said...

This dish looks yummy!
Do you mind sharing the recepi?

John said...

This looks awesome, I love prawns

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Malar, I don't really have a recipe.. Basically, I fry some garlic and curry leaves til fragrant, then added the onions.. and then prawns and tomato. Then, I add a sauce made of chilli sauce, soy sauce, water and cornflour.. when everything is nice and bubbly, I add a beaten egg.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi John, always nice to hear from someone new.. Thanks!

James said...

These look really really tasty :-)