Saturday, August 7, 2010

The joys of simple living

A few things I've been reading recently all seem to converge on this one same topic.

At first, it was Yin Mei's blog - she is an ex-colleague who now lives in Australia. Her post on her 2 chickens - Chilli and Padi had me thinking - how nice to have your own fresh eggs every week. And I started dreaming about having my own homegrown vegetables and fruits. An impossibility on my balcony, with my black fingers.

Then, it was this book - "The Hole in Our Gospel", by Richard Sterns, president of World Vision. The book is about how we should and need to look after the poor. It got me thinking about how I can spend less and give more away.

A short article I read whilst waiting at the dentist on how a family tried not spending for a month and found they saved US$2000 that they can give away inspired me further on this.

Petunia's posts on the Amish folks and on a family in the US who decided to live plainly inspired me even further. (plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com - read the 2 posts on how they got where they are - Part 1 and Part 2)

It's all easier said then done though!

The Husband cannot live without his Macbook and internet. I cannot live without my washing machine and fridge. We cannot live without the air-conditioning. So... how to go about with simple living?

But maybe... there are baby steps I can take - like eating at home more.. not wasting electricity.. buying only what I need from the supermarket..

I will start a plan.

2 comments:

My Sinfonia said...

i look forward to you sharing that plan! perhaps it will include migrating to tassie someday? hahhaha!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hehe. I'd like that but The Husband probably wont..