Last night, a few good friends came over for dinner.. so I decided to make roasted chicken and salad with herbs and vegetables from my garden.
I made a Roasted Chicken with Lemon Myrtle and Rosemary and Salad with Promegranate.
Roasted Chicken with Lemon Myrtle and Rosemary
1 large bird
1 whole lemon, halved and poked with sharp knife
1 large yellow onion, halved
1 large carrot (or a few baby carrots and celery, if you have them)
1 clove of garlic (with skin on)
A few baby potatoes (boiled and banged around to puncture the skin)
A bunch of rosemary
A few dried lemon myrtle leaves, crushed
Some Butter and olive oil
A handful of freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste
What I did
1. Smear the chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper pepper
2. Insert pieces of butter and herbs under the skin of the chicken. Rub any leftover on the underside of the chicken
3. Fill baking pan with the onions, garlic, carrots
4. Put the chicken and potatoes on top of the vegetables, lightly squeeze the lemon over the chicken and place on tray (Or you can place the lemon halves under the chicken)
5. Drizzle lots of olive oil over the chicken, potatoes and vegetables
6. Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg C for 1 hour 15 mins, turn up the heat to 240 deg C after that for 5 minutes to further brown the skin.
The chicken and potatoes turned out great, but I wish I had a bigger baking dish so that the chicken will brown better on the sides, or remove the potatoes during the last 5 minutes of baking so that the sides can brown.