Thursday, November 12, 2009

How to make your own vanilla extract

Some time ago, I read these 2 blog entries (Evan's Kitchen Ramblings and The Traveler's Lunchbox) and was really keen to try to make my own vanilla extract.

But then after a while, I forgot about all about it as I am often incline to do so..

It was until recently, when we were trying to look for a bottle of vanilla extract (not essence) in Singapore... that I remembered these 2 posts. (Thanks to Evan for reminding me..)

So, since I have all the neccessary ingredients - vanilla pods, alcohol and vanilla extract.. I thought, why not just try make a small batch.

I followed the instructions from The Traveler's Lunchbox. Alcohol (I use vodka) + used vanilla pods (I added both used and new) + some vanilla extract to kick start the process. (Frugal me added only very little vanilla extract... They are so expensive!)

All of that into 2 small recycled glass bottles.

And... that was it. Seriously...? I read the blog again to make sure I wasn't missing out any vital step - like boiling and measuring temperature and all.. but that was really all that I was supposed to do.

And what I need to do now is wait 6 to 8 weeks... (Or maybe 6 to 8 months..) and give the bottle a shake every once a week (I'd likely do that a lot more.. out of sheer curiousity and itchy fingers).

This is actually quite fun.

Especially if the extract turns out good.


Homemade vanilla extract - How it looks like on Day 1, Hour 1.
I'd take more pictures along the way..

3 comments:

bossacafez said...

great that you've finally decided to make yr own! but trust me, it definitely takes more than 6-8 weeks. more like 6-8 mths. i made this in sometime in june and in aug i took it out the color was still as light as ever and the vodka scent was still v strong. one of my flickr friend made it and she told me it takes about 6 mths to fully complete the extraction process :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tukis/3789078436/

now, 5 mths later and i just poured some out out again, color is like brandy and still kinda translucent so i added 2 more beans inside. if i knew it would take so long i would hv just added 10-20 beans at one shot in the beginning. and i think its more worth it to make large quantity since its so time consuming! let me know how yours turn out, and see if it really takes 6-8 weeks, or months to be ready :)

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh! 6 MONTHS! hahaha.. that is so funny.. okay.. I shall see. I made 2 small bottles.. should be enough for me for a while since I don't bake that often.. and.. heehee.. I still have a bottle of store bought vanilla extract actually! :)

Mutuelle sante said...

Thank you so much it is a great help, now to make our own vanilla extract is easy with the help of your information. Thank you