Friday, November 6, 2009

Flowering Blue Pea

There are about 10 flowers on my Blue Pea today..

That's the most I've seen before. This Blue Pea flowers quite frequently but usually, there are only 3 or 4 flowers each time. The flowers bloom for only 1 day so it's nice to see 10 in a single day..

I like the colour of the flowers very much - it is a very nice, royal-looking blue.

This plant is sturdy and tough.. I know for a fact that it can weather the hot scorching sun, strong winds and stormy rains pretty well.. because my plant has been through all that..

Red spider mites seem to love it and they launch an attack sometimes when I'm not careful.. but other than them, my blue pea plant has been pretty resistant to other pests.

The bright blue colour of the flowers can be used as a natural food dye, and sometimes I pluck them out on the day they flower to this lady at the gym, who uses them to dye her Nonya kuehs blue. The pods (the pea-like thing) are supposedly poisonous so I usually pluck off the flowers after 1 day so that I don't get them.


No comments: