Thursday, April 15, 2010

Double Chocolate Cupcakes


I thought that I would not be making chocolate cupcakes for quite some time after my 100 cupcakes challenge..

But these ones from Evan's blog looked so good I just had to make them... especially when I had all the ingredients required at home... down to the Valrhona chocolate.

The recipe is in her blog.. (It is a recipe from Donna Hay's...) but I did some very minor adjustments to it..

Ingredients
125g unsalted butter, softened
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1.5 tsp double-acting baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g dark chocolate, melted

(The original recipe called for salted butter instead of unsalted butter and salt. I never buy salted butter... It also called for 1 cup plain flour.. but I had some cake flour I wanted to finish up.. But my adjustments turned out alright..)

What I did
1. in a bowl, sift together plain flour, cocoa powder & baking powder.
2. In another bowl, whisk together butter, sugar & vanilla extract for about 10-12 mins until pale and creamy. add in eggs one at a time and beat until well combined.
3. add in milk and flour mixture alternately in 3 additions, mixing well in between each addition.
4. fold in melted chocolate thoroughly.
5. fill cake mixture in souffle cups until about 2/3 full. bake in a preheated oven of 160C for 20 mins or until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

They were really good and chocolatey... I guess Valrhona chocolate really does make a difference to chocolate cakes.

If you are serving them piping hot, you can consider taking them out of the oven after just about 15 minutes. I did that today for one of the cakes because it was time for tea.. and I got a really soft chocolate cake with a gooey centre.... it was good.

No comments: