Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hyssop the biblical plant

Hyssop plant

The Book of Exodus records that the blood of the sacrifices was applied to the doorposts using hyssop on the night of Passover. Psalm 51:7 says "Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."

In the New Testament, in John 19:28-30 says "Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."

Petunia wrote a post on the hyssop plant - it is a herb that can be used for cooking and can be used for reducing phlegm and calming the nerves. It was the flowers in Petunia's post that really attracted me though - regal deep purple flowers. It was very sweet of her to give me a pot of it when we met up yesterday.

There are no flowers now.. but this little seedling looks really cute, swaying in the wind.. and oh, it taste really strong too - bitter, minty and slightly sharp.

Growing conditions: Full sun, fertile, well-drained soil. I hope I don't kill this plant and will get to see it flower!

 Trying out different angles with the camera

No comments: