Sunday, September 19, 2010

A nice way to eat oats


I don't like eating oats.

My mother used to try making me eat oats for breakfast when I was younger. "I don't like oats - I'm not a horse." That'd often be my excuse of opting out on the meal.

But oh, I have just recently found out that I have slightly high cholesterol so it is important for me to eat oats. Oatmeal and oat bran are rich in soluble fiber, a type of fiber which lowers the bad LDL cholesterol without lowering the good cholesterol. 5 - 10 grams of soluble fiber a day decreases LDL cholesterol by about 5 percent. One bowl of oatmeal contains about 3 grams of soluble fiber.

Well, since I have to eat oats, I might as well try to make it tasty.

So I've made myself another batch of homemade granola. Granola is one of the nicest ways in which to eat oats, I think.

This time, I added some cinnamon powder, almond slices, chocolate chips, cranberries, raisins and prunes to make it tastier. I didn't bake the dried fruits with the nuts and oats this time so they were not as hard. (For more detailed instructions, see here)

What are other nice ways to eat oats that you know of?

3 comments:

Blur Ting said...

My mum made me eat oats with milk everyday when I was in school! I hated it but now that I am older, I appreciate what she had done. Infact, I have a cup of oats for lunch on most days, just plain oats without all that nice goodies you add inside.

Mandy said...

very tasty oats... why dun you start selling, I will be your first customer. 1 kg each month please.... :P

Anonymous said...

The usual ones made with milk makes me feel sick after eating. I like mine savoury, and I makes them like porridge.