Monday, February 7, 2011

Harrods - a truly English Institution

Harrods is a most amazing department store. It is truly one-of-a-kind - extremely difficult to find your way around (All the sales people asked if I needed directions to me next destination. Every single one.), has the most opulent looking decorations indoors (especially the Egyptian escalators) and has a  breathtaking array of products on sale (From wedding gowns, to grandfather clocks to food. The food department is especially amazing - see pictures below.)

I think it can be ranked as one of the top tourist destination for London, right alongside Buckingham Palace and the British Museum. And indeed tourists swarm this place. The number of people picking out reusable Harrods shopping bags and bears is really quite staggering. Personally, I don't see what is so special about the 19 pounds plastic shopping bag but maybe it is just me because there were lots of tourists buying such bags.

Going to Harrods always gives me a slight headache afterwards but I really do enjoy gaping at the selections available. This trip, I also found that if you know what it is that you want to buy, it is a very good place to buy from - Harrods do stock up rather well and the VAT-back processing service in Harrods is first class.

Photo from here










Even the selection of fresh flowers and small potted plants is pretty good..

And of course, there is always a few of these giant 
Harrods bears on sale. This one cost about 1900 pounds (!!)

3 comments:

Malar said...

Harrods building do really have beautiful english design! I wish to be there!

Mark Willis said...

I also share your views on Harrods - the Food Halls are like "Alladdin's Cave" - an overwhelming selection of some of the world's most yummy (and expensive) foodstuffs. I have been there several times, just to look, not to buy!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Aladdin's cave! Such an apt description!