Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Something passed me by..

I have started working again for more than 2 weeks now.

Work is fine. Confusing at first but things are getting clearer.. Right now, work is very manageable and not too stressful. Not yet anyway..

It's been about 4 years since I've worked in Singapore.. I have been meeting up with many ex-colleagues for lunch since I started work. Many are working in the same company.. the others are all located pretty nearby.

After lunch last week with some of my ex-colleagues, I felt a little depressed. Not depressed depressed.. but a little reflective depressed.

You see, I felt a little out of place... as if something has passed me by over the last 4 years. Outwardly things are still deceptively similar.. We still chat, joked and laughed together.. But somehow, things have changed.

Some of my colleagues dress differently - dripping diamonds and branded handbags... Others lament about their "low" pay.. An athletic friend who was always the kind to go hiking and marathons talked lovingly about her young daughter - the last time I met her, she was single.

Over lunch, it was very obvious that everyone has changed somewhat over the 4 years. Everyone seemed to have "moved on". Except that I seemed to be in the same place. It was still the same old me at lunch with my friends.

But perhaps that is how we all feel when meeting up with some friends we have not met for a long time.. Perhaps when some of my friends look at me, they think that I've "moved on" too.

I wonder if anyone else out there feels the same when meeting up with old friends?

2 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Don't feel this way. I bet your friends are secretly wishing they could led the kind of life as you. Well, that came to my mind when we met for tea the last time. I wish I could be in the position to choose to stay home and do the things I like instead of working. For many of us, we really don't have a choice. Life is more than diamonds and money.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Thanks Ting.. hehe.. I guess I was just having a "moment"... :)