Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Jamie Oliver's Banana Bread

Happy said that this Jamie Oliver's recipe is fantastic.

And you know, it did met all my criteria for a good recipe - simple to find ingredients and super simple to execute.

To be very honest, I don't know why this is called a banana bread because the recipe uses no yeast... and so there is no proofing time involved.

This is a 2 bowls and 20 minutes recipe. Meaning that I only ended up using and having to wash 2 bowls.. (ok, and of course the baking pan, if you are particular) and it took me about 20 minutes, the time it took for the oven to pre-heat, to finish making the batter.

The original recipe from Jamie Oliver can be found here. I've adapted it a little by adding macadamia nuts (I don't fancy walnuts and pecans) and substituting 20g of melted butter with low-fat yoghurt (I wanted a less oily bread.)

Ingredients
115 g macadamia nuts, lightly toasted and chopped
245 g all-purpose flour
150 g granulated white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tspsalt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
93g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
20g plain low-fat yoghurt
454 grams very ripe bananas (the bananas should be very brown)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
I banana (sliced), for garnishing

What I did
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and place oven rack to middle position.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl (Bowl #1)
3. Mash the bananas in a medium bowl (Bowl #2) - not too finely so there are some nice chunks of bananas here and there
4. Pour the melted butter, beaten egg, vanilla extract and yoghurt into Bowl #2
5. Pour the banana mixture in Bowl #2 slowly into Bowl #1, folding in carefully as you go along.
6. Mix until the ingredients are just combined. (Be careful not to overmix). Place some sliced bananas on top for garnishing, if desired (these bananas will caramelised nicely)
7. Bake in loaf pan (buttered and floured) for 50 - 60 minutes

This bread is yummy served warm with a glass of cold milk.

A very healthy looking bread..

The banana bread - inside and out...
Actually.. it does look like a bread on the inside..

P/S: Subsequent to writing this post, I realised this is really not a bread but a quick-mix cake.. and the recipe is not even Jamie Oliver's though it is from the website. The "real" Jamie Oliver's Banana and Honey Bread recipe is another recipe.. and I've tried out out. See here for more..

6 comments:

My Sinfonia said...

hey, i tried this a few days ago. it is so good. moist and so much banana! love it!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh oh oh.. I love it when people try out recipes I shared. Glad you like it! The almost perfect banana cake is another recipe I love :)

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh oh oh.. I love it when people try out recipes I shared. Glad you like it! The almost perfect banana cake is another recipe I love :)

My Sinfonia said...

share leh...i love banana cakes.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Sinfonia, here here: http://openkitchenconcept.blogspot.com/2009/06/almost-perfect-banana-cake.html Ting tried it and she likes it!

My Sinfonia said...

Thanks okc! For next time when i have about to expire bananas.