Friday, December 11, 2009

Less Fruity Fruitcake - Attempt 2

With some adjustments to the recipe and careful measuring... I think I got the Less Fruity Fruitcake right.. or at least better this time...

Ingredients
135g mixed dried fruits (I used a mixture of raisins, cranberry and prunes)
110g Dark Rum
65g Unsifted Cake Flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
113g unsalted butter
60g sugar (The cake would be darker if dark brown sugar is used. I used raw sugar)
1 large egg
80g unsulfured molasses
30g milk

What I did
1. Soak the dried fruits in rum for at least one day in advance (I did it last week)
2. Add all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well
3. Mix the milk and molasses and set aside
4. Cream the butter and sugar til light and fluffy
5. Add the egg in and mix well
6. Add the flour into the mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the molasses and milk mixture
7. Add in the dried fruits (leave the excess soaking rum behind.. it can be used to soak another batch of dried fruits)
8. Bake at 170 deg C for about 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Notes:
  • It could be because of the dried fruits.. but the Cake Bible's directions were to add all the soaking rum into the batter. I didn't do that. The batter was already quite curdled when I added in the soaked fruits.

  • The Cake Bible's directions were to bake for about 20 minutes. Again, 20 minutes just wasn't enough for me.. I baked for about 40 minutes in total..

  • Unsulphured molasses is made from mature sugar cane, which does not require treatment with sulphur. Sulphured molasses is made from young sugar cane. Sulphur dioxide, which acts as a preservative, is added during the sugar extraction process.


  • This one is for the holidays season!


    This cake has a VERY strong rum taste.. For adults only..

    No comments: