Thursday, December 3, 2009

Good substitutes

I am the type of person who needs a shopping list.

Without a shopping list, I often come home from the supermarket, and realised that I've forgotten to get something.

When that happens, sometimes my baking plans get delayed.

And that is not a good thing because I only bake when I am in a particular sort of mood.

But I've learnt that sometimes, you can substitute an ingredient and still have the bread or cake turn out pretty decent. (Kudos to the baking classes and various blogs I read..)

And here are a few particularly useful ones..

Baking Powder -- 1 part baking soda + 2 parts cream of tartar. Use immediately
Self-raising flour -- 100g plain flour + 0.5tsp baking powder.
Diary Cream (in butter cakes and frosting) -- Evaporated milk
Cream of Tartar -- Lemon Juice
Brown Sugar (1 cup) -- 1 cup white granulated sugar (minus 1 tbsp) + 1 tbsp of Molasses
Sourcream (1 cup) -- 1 cup plain yoghurt + 1 teaspoon baking soda
Buttermilk (1 cup) -- 1 cup (minus 1 tbsp) milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice
Heavy cream (not for whipping) -- 1/3 cup melted butter + 3/4 cup milk


A very cute cartoon I found online (link here)..
if only we can substitute french fries for salads instead..

No comments: