Biscotti must be the easiest thing to bake.
(Well, almost the easiest thing. The easiest is definitely chocolate brownies. I'd share my recipe another day)
But biscotti is easy to bake and rather healthy too.. so I'd definitely be making more of them in future.
The Husband made these some time back - using the recipe by Baking with Julia. The only variation I did this time was to add some leftover almond silvers to the biscotti, so I ended up with Mixed Nuts Biscotti, rather than Macadamia Nut Biscotti..
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 tsp liqueur
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
What I did
1. Preheat oven to 150 deg C
2. Mix all the wet ingredients together
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together in another bowl
4. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together (The mixture will be really thick). Then, add about 2/3 cup of nuts (I used macadamia and almond nuts)
5. Use 2 spoons (or your hands) to scoop up half the mixture and spread it into a log across a Silpat or a lined baking sheet. Just try to as neat as you can but don't worry about smoothing the dough too much.
6. Do the same thing to the other half of the mixture, leaving the 2 logs about 3 inches apart.
7. Bake for exactly 35 minutes then transfer the logs to a cooling rack and let cool
8. Cut the logs into 1/2 inch slices and then bake for another 10 to 15 minutes
Biscotti is really really easy to make. The "hardest" part in the part where you have to cut the logs up into slices.
They go really well with a strong cup of tea or a fragrant cup of hot coffee.
I'd be more adventurous next time and try out other flavours. Currently, I'm thinking chocolate and green tea flavour.