Sunday, September 5, 2010

Simple walnut raisin bread


This is another simple bread recipe I really like. You can actually add what you like to it. But a handful of walnuts and raisins work really well.

I like to add like slightly less yeast to my bread but I've got to learn to proof my bread properly. I have been lazy and have leaving them in my kitchen which is air-conditioned... so even after 2 hours of proofing, they don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'd have to move them to somewhere more humid to get those lovely air pockets and a softer texture..

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
225g flour (I used a mixture of wholemeal - 100g and bread flour - 125g)
4g to 6g instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil
125ml water
50g chopped walnuts (optional)
50g raisins or dried cranberries or sun-dried tomatoes (optional)

What I did
1. Mix everything together except the walnuts and raisins
2. Knead into a smooth dough
3. Add the walnuts and raisins and knead into dough
4. Cover and proof for 45 mins to 2 hours (depending on your room conditions and amount of yeast)
5. Shape into a long oval shape and place on silpat, or lightly oiled baking tray
6. Proof until double in size - 45 mins to 2 hours
7. Bake at 200 deg C for 25 mins
8. Take out, let cool on a rack

This bread makes a very good open sandwich. It also goes well with a thick soup, like corn soup or mushroom soup.

No comments: