Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary

It's a pity that The Husband does not fancy pumpkins.

I love eating pumpkins in all forms - roasted pumpkin soup, pumpkin in salads, stir-fried pumpkin with dried shrimps etc. The only thing I haven't really tried is pumpkin juice à la Harry Potter novels. (And to be honest, even I think pumpkin juice is a bit too much!)

In fact, if I weren't on a low carb diet, I would be happy with steamed Japanese pumpkin and steamed rice for lunch.

As it happens, I tried a bit of this roasted pumpkin with rosemary the other day in a restaurant and this is so simple and so good I just had to share it here with all.

If you are cracking your head for an idea of a dish to bring for a potluck dinner during this festive period - here is an idea for you. This will definitely be a dish I will have on my list as a dish to bring for a potluck gathering!

Roasted pumpkin with sprigs of rosemary and a sprinkling of sea salt

14 comments:

I am Hap(py) said...

oooh i often roast pumpkin for dinner to replace sweet potatoes. Love when is slightly charred with all the nice herbs and sea salt. Nom Nom!

Rene said...

I love pumpkins too! Esp the Japanese variety. How long do you have to roast it for? I always have difficulty gauging the roasting time.

Blur Ting said...

I love pumpkin. I often buy a big one and eat it over several breakfasts and lunch, roasted or steamed.

Petunia Lee said...

Ok... I am now gonna try pumpkin. I wonder if it is high carb.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Rene, I usually put them in with my chicken - I think they get soft from 40min at 190deg C but it depends on the cut (how thick the slices are)

Open Kitchen Concept said...

I like the Japanese variety best too, Rene, hehe

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Happy, pumpkin and sweet potatoes are both nice to go w chicken, hehe

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Ting, every meal! Wow

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Petunia, I saw pumpkin as having less carbs then carrots, so I suppose it is a low carb vege..? Surprisingly, peas are high carb veges...

Wen-ai said...

I am cracking my head for what to prepare as a side dish to my braised beef cheeks! Think I'll give roasted pumpkins a try! ;)

Malar said...

I love pumpkin too!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

i love any carb, as long as it's nice carb. *WIDE GRIN*

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Do give it a try, Wen-ai!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hehe, Malar and Fry, I love carbs too! :)